Ok, so after weeks, months or years of hearing it from friends and associates you’ve finally made the decision to get your own website. Maybe you just want to start a blog or maybe you dream of creating the next Amazon. Whatever your purpose might be, there are many questions to answer and choices to make before you become a website owner.
Key to your success is to:
1) ask questions
2) get qualified answers
3) put that information into play
4) ask for help when you need it.
The purpose of the following list is to give you insight into some of the things you will need to know and decisions you’ll have to make before starting your new site. The success or failure of your site is going to hinge upon the information you get from asking the following, and what you do with that information.
Questions You Need to Ask:
- What platform do I want to build my site on? How do I know it’s the right one for my needs?
- What are the setup and building costs going to be – should I DIY it or hire a web designer to build it? Which would be the best way? Fastest way? Cheapest way?
- Will the site belong to me when it’s done or does the hosting company or developer own it?
- Will my site work properly on all devices? i.e. desktop and mobile friendly?
- What kind of ongoing costs will I have? i.e. domain, hosting, security, plugins, seo, advertising, etc.
- How versatile, easy to update and user-friendly will the platform be?
- Will I be able to do my own updates and changes as needed? i.e. adding new pages, adding or deleting products, adding new features or plugins, price changes, etc.
- Can I add a store? A blog? Special links?
- Can I offer discounts? Free shipping? Sale coupons? Newsletter?
- How do I get my site to rank in Google? Will my site have built-in SEO? Can I do my own SEO or do I need an expert?
- How do I build a mailing list? Should I use Mailchimp? Aweber? Other?
- Can I add new users or administrators?
- Can I access the backend of my site from any computer or device?
- Can I easily change the look and style of the site without having to manually change or realign all of the content?
If you would like this checklist in an easily accessible way you can download it here. You will also then be on my mailing list and I cover many of the answers to these questions in my content weekly.
As many of you know my first choice for a website build is always WordPress and you can find out why in this short video. If you do decide that WordPress is right for you and you want to build your own site I also offer my comprehensive WordPress course.
If you have any questions on getting started with building a website please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
Free eBook - Your Instagram Plan
Instagram has a massive potential for building your audience, plus you can connect with new people through the use of hashtags. If you want to take advantage of Instagram for marketing your business, this Ebook has the lowdown.